Crank-Up Guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Crank-Up Guys
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 15:33:29 -0400

> How about using 3 full sized 40 meter slopers as a guying system on a 51'
>Tri-EX Crank-up. The idea
>was to have a remotely controlled antenna switch mounted on the tower.
> In looking an the 95 ARRL Handbook, and finding Antenna Wire Strength in
>Table 30.33, some interesting
>discussions followed. Assuming that using insulators, supports, etc, at
>least as strong as the wire,
>can it be done, has anyone done anything like this ??

Hi, Paul --

     Using tower guy wires as antennas is a nifty idea used many times by
tower owners.  My first question is if the Tri-Ex tower is supposed to have
guys on it.   I don't remember if it does or not.  If it does not, then I
would be very careful about any guy wire scheme.  You don't want to add more
compression forces to the tower if it is not designed to handle it.  If it is
what the manufacturer specifies, then knock yourself out and hang those
guys/antennas from it.  If you are going to go  the guy wire route, then you
must use real guy wire material; again, what the manufacturer requires (size,
tensile strength, etc.).  If they are just going to be antennas, then any
wire will work.  Guy wires can be used as antennas but antennas cannot be
used as guy wires.

73 and good luck,   Steve   K7LXC