Basic guywire information request

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Basic guywire information request
From: N1MM@usa.pipeline.com (Thomas Wagner)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 00:01:35 GMT
Steve,

Using preforms, you do not cut the turnbuckle end of the guy wire at all.
Just let it lay on the ground or coil it up if you like.  Only when you are

sure your tower has grown tall enough would you cut the excess length
with bolt cutters.

Make sure you put a cable, or one of the long ends through all the
turnbuckles to prevent them from loosening.  Also, loop a cable through
all of the thimbles  (in a circle) in case one of the turnbuckles breaks.

If you are afraid of vandalism, you should put the loop through the centers

of the turnbuckles as well, rather than the loose end serving this purpose.

The advantage of using the loose end, is that tightening of the turnbuckles

requires less time, since no cable clamps need be removed.

To tighten the guys, I use a preform about 6' up each guy wire and a
come along attached to the preform (lever end of come-along).  The
cable end of the come-along hooks at a convenient place on the
anchor or equalizer plate.

Make sure the tower is vertical to the first set of guys via 4' level (what

I use) or plumb bob (never tried this).  Then, as long as the first part of

the tower is vertical, you can site up the legs to see which way you need
to go with the rest of the guys.  There will be interaction between
adjustments of sets of guys.

73,
Tom