Protecting tower/concrete interface?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Protecting tower/concrete interface?
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 04:14:24 -0700
At 01:56 AM 9/5/96 -0500, WR3O wrote:

>What is the best way to protect the base of a tower, where it meets
>the concrete (this one has a 'base section' in concrete.)  The concrete
>was NOT formed properly to avoid the collection of water, mud, leaves, etc.
>
>In other words, junk collects there.  There are already signs of minor
>surface corrosion (or it's mud in the concrete.)  The tower was installed
>with a new 25G base section about 5 years ago.
>
>This was ignored for the last five years until my awareness level was
>raised here on the 'net.
>
>What, if anything, would be the best course of action at this point to
>minimize further corrosion of the tower/concrete interface?  Building
>a "cap" for water to run around scares me because of what might get
>trapped between the new & old layer, causing yet further corrosion.
>One local here used something like driveway tar at the concrete/tower
>interface.  Best course of action here?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Kirk WR3O

I have just become a believer in "wet-or-dry" asphalt roof cement - it's
asphalt with encapsulated asbestos, and appear to drive out or absorb water
at the adhesion surface with tin roofs, concrete, you name it.  Cost is good
too - only abt $4 per gallon!

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com
... and not changing!