Rotating tower bearings

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Rotating tower bearings
From: broz@csn.net (John Brosnahan)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 05:57:18 -0600
At 10:37 AM 10/10/96 +200, you wrote:
>I'm in the process of making a 40 m (130') rotating tower.  The
>rotating portion is being made of something similar to 45G.  I need
>to fabricate bearings for the slip rings to run on.  Some questions
>come to mind:
>
>* Does anyone have suggestions about suitable bearings?
>* Are there rollers, made for some other purpose, that would fit the
>  bill?
>* Should the surface be rubberised, or be bare metal?
>* Should a bearing be supported on both ends of the axis, or is one
>  end sufficient?

Cam followers are the easist answer I have come up with and are what
the other makers of guy rings use (at least for their bigger stuff).

They are designed to be supported on one end and are complete
assemblies.  A typical one for handling 11,000 pounds (5000kg)
(5/16 EHS (8 mm) guy wire) will cost about $22 (don't know the
metric conversion for dollars!  HI--just take plenty of Kugerands to the
store).  You will need six of them at each guy location, 3 for the
vertical forces and 3 for the horizontal forces.

Run them on galvanized metal.  A rubberized surface (?) will only
increase the friction as they settle down into a self-inflicted indentation.
The tension of the guy wires will keep anything from rattling

Go to any supplier of industrial bearings and just ask to see their
catalogs on cam followers.  You will want something on the order of
two inches OD (5 cm) with a bolt size of about 7/8 inch (22 mm) to meet
the 11,000 pound rating.

>Direct replies will be summarised on the Reflector.
>
>Thanks
>
>Chris R. Burger
>ZS6EZ
John Brosnahan
La Salle Research Corp      24115 WCR 40     La Salle, CO 80645  USA
voice 970-284-6602            fax 970-284-0979           email broz@csn.net