not da birds -- da wasps!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: not da birds -- da wasps!
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (Jon Zaimes AA1K)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 02:11:58 -0400 (EDT)
It's great antenna weather in Delaware but it's also prime wasp time.
I always wear a reasonably thick, loose long-sleeve shirt and pants. But
there's always some exposed skin prone to a sting at great heights (I found
a wasp sitting on the boom/mast bracket I was about to work on at 110 feet
today!). And I always stay buckled to the tower at all times (extra
carabiner clips used when moving the belt around guys, etc.). I've yet to be
stung
on the tower, but they buzz me frequently.

Are there any special measures you take for wasps? Insect repellant on the
climber? Mosquito netting or other face mask? Is there a plastic "owl" that
works for wasps?

73/Jon AA1K