Years of use on coax

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Years of use on coax
From: seay@alaska.net (Jan & Del Seay)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 17:52:30 -0700
Craig Clark wrote:

> Here's one I haven't seen yet.
>
> What's best case number of years coax is good outside. I'm using one from my
> Novice days (30 years ago) and it seems to be OK, measuring power.
>
> Main run to big tower is 5-10 years and coax is hidden under years of leave
> and other "detrious." (sp?) Haven't measured power but all seems ok, I am
> heard when I call. Suggestions?
>
> Craig

Craig: There is no "rule-of-thumb" for determining throw-away age
of RG-8. What happens to coax is called contamination. No contamination,
it's good for a long-long time.
If a lot of effort was put into the original installation, no damage to
the jacket, and all exposed areas tinned properly, you're probably okay.
The only sure test is measure the loss in the transline, and make an
informed decision on how much loss above the mfg specs you want to
live with.
See ya'  de KL7HF