mast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: mast
From: jrob@epix.net (jrob@epix.net)
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 08:02:15 -0700
Howdy all,

     I wonder what people use for mast that sticks up about 10 or so
feet above the tower and holds more than one multiband antenna?
     I put up 1 1/2" galvanized steel pipe and it failed......bent right
over. Wow!
     If I use 1 1/2" galvanized steel again,only this time schedule 80,
which is 1/4" wall thickness,is that sufficient? And if that is
sufficient, what would be the difference between steel or aluminum pipe
if they both are the same thickness?I don't have time for this "chrome
molley" or whatever it is as this must be changed immedietly, no time to
wait for freight! One last question, I also suppose I could use 2"
instead of 1 1/2", but adding all this more weight,is it really going
to add all that more strength? Helping answers appreciated!!!
                                              Jeff,N3MLV