Determine geographic North

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Determine geographic North
From: k0rc@pclink.com (Robert Chudek)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 20:34:21 +0100
        I've been waiting for the opportunity to share
this technique with the world.  It looks like the time
has arrived!

        But first a brief aside...  I've been amazed by
the claims that extraterrestrials layed the foundations
of the Egyptian pyramids with their sides EXACTLY along
East/West and North/South lines.  You've seen the books
and TV reports, stating the accuracy down to the limits
of our modern-day instrumentation!

        Well here's how you can duplicate this feat...

        Start with a level surface.  This can simply be
a small piece of paper, a 4x8 sheet of plywood, your
driveway, or the desert sands.

        Second, place an item above your level surface
that will cast a shadow.  A pencil, a fencepost, or a
tree will do.

        Third, mark the end-point where the shadow meets
your surface.  (A sunny day is best here...  plenty of
them out in the desert!)

        Fourth, wait an hour, two, three, or so.

        Fifth, mark the end-point of the shadow when you
return.  (Hint: it will have moved toward the east.)

        Finally, draw a string between the original shadow
mark and the final shadow mark.

        You now have a precise line which runs east and
west.  Line the elements of your yagi to this line and the
boom of your antenna will point north and south.

        It's amazing how those extraterrestrials figured
this out and taught it to the Egyptians!  :-)

        73 de Bob - K0RC
        Technique author unknown