Tree as tower?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Tree as tower?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 16:33:54 -0500

>I've got several tall trees in my back yard and I'm wondering if topping one
>and using it for height would be a cheaper way to getting a tower. One
>problem I do see is attaching all the hardware at the top - How do I get the
>rotor/beam/etc. all secure? Can I attach just the top section of a real
>tower? If so, what's the best way?
>Anyone have experience with this kind of setup?

Hi, Brian --

    Trees are the classic amateur antenna support; they're free and they are
unimpeded by building codes and restrictions.

    I have installed 14-15 HF yagis in trees here in the Pacific Northwest
including 2 element 40M beams.  We have big fir trees that lend themselves to
beam and wire antenna installations and they work GREAT!  The big advantage
for beams is that electrically they're floating in space; no steel tower or
guy wires to interact with them  Multi-trunked trees like oaks, etc. don't
work as successfully.

   My preferred method is to use a 2" galvanized water pipe lag screwed (1/2
X 6 inch) to the trunk.  You mast mount your rotator on the pipe.  It's a
good installation if you weld a couple of flanges on the pipe to keep it from
twisting in the wind and breaking the bolts.  This is after you top the tree,
of course.  Be sure to leave some growth up on top to bring sap up or it'll
die right away.  You use a tram technique to get the antenna up to the top of
the tree.

   A tree installation is a high maintenance way to do it.  Not only do the
branches keep growing but also it's WOOD.  Generally it will also deteriorate
over the years so it isn't a permanent installation.

73,  Steve   K7LXC