Tower Grounding

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Tower Grounding
From: ED-AB4PY@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (Ed Privette)
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 1996 19:26:54 +0000
Will not bore you guys with a lot of details plus I'm no engineer.

Three years ago I took a direct hit on a 55 ft Triex that was grounded with
three 20' (power company) copper clad ground rods. It also got into my house
via the electrical ground side.

I had the ultimate protection, good insurance coverage, as the damage was
more than $13,000. No ham gear was damaged as I have a disconnect panel on
the out side wall of the garage and routinely disconnect coax, control
cables ect and the two master power cables behind my desk.

Regardless of how careful you are it CAN happen and it sure was great to see
that check come in!

73s de Ed, (now W4EP)