TopBand: Shunt & Gamma Feed for Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Shunt & Gamma Feed for Tower
From: nx1g@top.monad.net (Craig Clark)
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:33:33 -0600
At 09:02 AM 11/12/96 -0500, you wrote:
>     This is primarily for Fred, K1VR, but all are welcome.
>
>     The original shunt feed article by John True, W4OQ and later N4BA,
>     from Ham Radio, May 1975, is still very up to date.  The omega match
>     will work fine, sometimes in reverse direction.  Original shows a
>     series capacitor and a shunt capacitor across the coax feed.
>     Sometimes the shunt capacitor needs to be a smaller value on the other
>     side of the series cap.  That is between the bottom of the gamma rod
>     and ground.
>
>     Gary Breed, K9AY, wrote an update on using two wires in parallel to
>     broaden the match bandwidth in an issue of the Low Band Monitor by
>     Lance Johnson Digital Graphics, K0CS is the editor.

The True article in HR is a classic. I recommend all looking to build a
shunt feed
antenna  read it several times.

>From Oct 75 QST, W1FB and W5RTQ have artilces on building shunt fed
antennas. Both are quite helpful.  Dec 77 CQ, W5JJ on verticals. And, from
ARRL Ant Comp Vol #2, page 36, K5YNR on unipole antennas.

I feed the grounded antenna at the top in a uni-pole configuration, with a
large driven element (same size as the 25.) I use a step-up L network
(series L, parallel C) and get good performance.

GL and cu on 160!

Craig

                        Craig Clark
                     soon to be ex-NX1G
        send me e-mail and I'll put you on our mailing list
                        Radio Bookstore
        Books for Amateur Radio, SWL and CB Radio Operators
                        (603) 899 6957
                        (603) 899 6826 fax
                        PO Box 209
                        Rindge, NH 03461