Re *** DENIED ***

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re *** DENIED ***
From: John_Langdon@medianet.com (John_Langdon@medianet.com)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 96 08:30:08 CST
John the new FCC ruling allowing small (DSS) overrides CC&R's. On
the other hand the FCC in Feb 92??? in regards to "C" band dishes
says that you CANNOT discrimanate on tyoes of antennas. The ARRL
council should be very well briefed on that. Hope this helps and
good luck. Oh! the new ruling allows attornies fees payable by the
association. NEED TO GET THE OCT. FCC RULING Hank

     The FCC acted with regards to dishes less than 1 meter in diameter,
     MMDS ("wireless cable") antennas, and broadcast TV antennas, and ruled
     that there must be a reasonable accomodation in allowing the use of
     these services without undue burden on the homeowner.  This ruling
     does not specifically apply to amateur antennas.

     The FCC previously acted to limit local ordinances, not deed
     restrictions, specifically with regard to amateur antennas.

     Many people, especially some homeowner's association members, believe
     that deed restrictions are "contracts between individuals" and that
     the FCC or any part of the federal government can' change them or
     effect them in any way.  This is of course totally wrong.  The most
     blatant example is that many properties (including a house sold a few
     years ago by Governor Ann Richards) have deed restictions prohibiting
     sale to certain persons based on their race or country of origin.  The
     federal government has rightly ruled these unenforceable, and that has
     stuck legally, so I think there is ample precedent for them to rule
     certain CC&R's unenforceable with regard to amateur antennas.

     My case has the potential to clarify things with regards to CC&R's and
     amateur antennas.

     FYI, I have had a 3.5 meter diameter C band dish in my backyard ever
     since the house was built - but it is mounted in an eight foot deep
     hole next to a 6 foot privacy fence and is totally invisible from
     neighboring properties unless someone looks through the fence for it,
     and beleive me, I have no TI problems on C band.  For this antenna, it
     is possible to have optimum antenna performance with no aesthetic
     issues.  On HF, though, that is not possible. I was willing to spend
     extra money for a retractable tubular mast, use a smaller antenna,
     site it to reduce visibility, and lower it when not in use - but I am
     not willing to forego having a rotable array altogether.

     73 John N5CQ