Antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Antenna
From: n4si@techinter.com (n4si)
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 01:13:17 +0000
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Date:          Tue, 3 Dec 1996 12:27:11 -0500
> To:            kk7a@micron.net
> Cc:            towertalk@contesting.com
> Subject:       Re: Antenna

> In a message dated 96-12-02 23:57:17 EST, Steve, K7LXC wrote:

>       The TH5 was designed by trial and error about 25-30 years ago.  The
> Force 12 antennas have been extensively computer modelled and optimized using
> unique design properties and tools that are currently available.  While the
> jury is still out in the longterm on-the-air results for Force 12 antennas...

I don't mean to be picky, and maybe it's because I'm a big fan of
HyGain antennas, but, while "trial and error" is a somewhat accurate
representation of the "cut and try" method of antenna building one
does on a real live antenna range (which HyGain has), it implies a
"hit or miss" approach to antenna design, which HyGain does not do.

When the TH5 (and its family members) were designed, "tools" such as
computer modelling were not only not available, but HyGain was
virtually the only manufacturer that did true range testing, thus
optimizing using real world results.

You are absolutely right, the jury is still out on Force 12 and any
of the other relative newcomers in the antenna game. HyGain antennas
have a significant track record (I have a TH6DXX) that can be
corroborated by interviewing owners and users, or, as they say, "ask
the man who owns one."

According to  Dick Weber, K5IU, in a talk some years ago at W9DXCC,
when computer modelling became widely available, the 204 (or 5, I
can't remember) BA was run, and not only were the RF specs pretty
close to optimal for the dimensions and materials used, but the
physical specs for survivability were, too.

Compared to a lot of other antenna construction methods, HyGains are
pretty rugged. That is not to say that others don't work, but sheet
metal screws and rivets, for example, aren't the intuitive rugged
methods I would have selected, but I'm not a structural engineer, and
at least in the case of rivets, there is an aerodynamic case to be
made.

There is much to be said for "trial and error."

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE