Rohn HDBX-48

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Rohn HDBX-48
From: Darrell_Upson@pa.xerox.com (Darrell_Upson@pa.xerox.com)
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 11:33:55 PST
Gene,
I currently have a 56 foot version of that tower with a KT34XA two feet
 above it.  I CANNOT recommend this combination.  My tower is somewhat
 protected from the wind by high trees and terrain.  But an A3S on the
 48 foot version should be no problem.  As far as the rivets coming out
 I have never had one come loose.  The KT34XA has been up there for
 about 9 months and before that there was a Cushcraft 4 element 15
 meter beam with a 20 foot boom for about 4 years.  There are no guys,
 but I plan to put up a couple in case of a freak wind storm.
Climbing the tower requires hard soled shoes and of course you stand on
 the cross braces.  Also use gloves as the hand holds all have right
 angle edges.  I realize I am far exceeding Rohns' ratings on the tower
 with the KT34XA at 56 feet, but I think this shows that your A3S at 48
 plus a couple of feet should be no problem.

Darrell WB6ADZ