ELECTRIC WINCH

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: ELECTRIC WINCH
From: WR34SHE@shellus.com (WR34SHE@shellus.com)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 96 13:00:00 CST
FROM: SAM EFFINGER  K9SD
SUBJECT: ELECTRIC WINCH

I am getting flamed to death about the electric winch idea. There are
lots of folks using some variation of this and don't feel it's unsafe.

As in any project safety must be first! If use of an electric winch
is more that a persons mechanical ability allows them to cope with
then by all means don't use it. I was just asking for any ideas and not
suggesting that the electric winch is the only way to go. The potential
for a mishap is always there and having an electric winch doesn't mean
I wouldn't un hook the guy wires when going up or use common sense. I could
have described the complete process to put up an antenna but I assume most
folks would guess the intent was to focus on the construction of a winch
not describe every action or lack of when installing an antenna.

Just because you have an electric winch doesn't mean you won't have the normal
problems. When hoisting a beam past guy wires please don't think that an
electric winch will make the task any different than with a hand winch.

As for having my wife push the up/down buttons well it's better than
having her turn a crank handle. When the antenna is on the way up I don't
plan to be looking at the sky and day dreaming but rather I will be paying
close attention as always.

Hope that covers all the flames and I am sorry for bringing up the subject.

73/Sam

                  K9SD