GAP Voyager info and comments

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: GAP Voyager info and comments
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 12:55:39 -0500

>I have found as others have that the antenna performs relatively better on
>80-20
>(I get a lot of compliments and good "runs" on 80) than 160.  My GAP sees
>salt
>water to the horizon and yet is not competitive with some others' 160m
setups
>that on balance should not be any louder, considering
>height/location/polarization, etc.

Jim --

     We found the same thing with the GAP on 160M - it's not a competitive
antenna.  We operated the CQWW 160 Test from the Washington State coast and a
couple of hundred yards from saltwater but within the beach water table.  It
was amazing - we HEARD everything.  But we could only work about 1/3 of the
stations we heard.  My feeling was that it was therefore about 33% efficient.
 The current owner of the antenna, N0AX, says that it does work much better
on 80M.

73,  Steve  K7LXC