Rohn 25 bolts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Rohn 25 bolts
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 23:10:03 EST

Fred Hopengarten, K1VR
Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105 * 617/259-0088
e-mail:  k1vr@juno.com

Big antennas, high in the sky, are better than small ones, low.

On Mon, 16 Dec 1996 19:31:16 -0500 AA4NC@aol.com writes:
>I need to replace the bolts in a  25G tower. I need to find a better
>type of
>bolt, that won't rust so quickly. The Rohn tower doesn't mention what
>type of
>bolts to use. Since the stock Rohn bolts didn't last too long, I was
>thinking
>about stainless. Is there a problem with this? What is the correct
>size?
>Will

K1VR opines:  I used stainless steel when I installed ym Rohn 25 in 1981,
and the nuts and bolts look today as they did the day they were
installed.  A couple of tips:

1.  Over order by 10%, to allow yourself to drop a few into the snow and
still get the project done.

2.  An additional part of that "over order" will be used up as some items
"gall."  There are compounds which limit galling, but you'll still waste
a few nuts and bolts.

will loosen up.