Loos Tension Gauge Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Loos Tension Gauge Question
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 10:57:01 -0500

>One of the recent replies to my query about tensioning the dacron/kevlar
>guys on my push up mast suggested that I ask you about the Loos Tension
>Gauge. He said that it might not apply to my guy material 450# strength but
>that it was reasonably inexpensive and that I should consider owning one
>anyway.
>
>Just what do these things cost and are they applicable to my guy line
>material?

Roger.  Hello, again --

    The Loos guy wire tensioner is one of the handiest tower items to come
along in a long time.  It was developed to tension sail boat rigging but is
perfect for most ham installations.  The Model 90 which is carried by TOWER
TECH measures 3/16 to 9/32 inch cable. It's $39.00 + s/h.  They also make a
version that'll handle larger sizes as well as smaller sizes.  I don't think
there's one that'll do your rope though.  If you use the 10% rule of thumb,
the tension on your dacron should be about 45 pounds.  You can probably
guess-timate that amount.

     Since 99% of hams do not know what their guy wire tension is, I would
certainly recommend owning and using one of these easy to use devices.

73,  Steve   K7LXC

    Claimer -- My opinions are those of my employer.