Tower info

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Tower info
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 18:59:37 -0500

>I live on a sea island off the coast of South Carolina. I am thinking about
>erecting a USTower MA550 crank-up mast on the end of my dock about 150 feet
>long in salt water. Do you think that the tower could be safely bolted to 2
>x 12s and double-bracketed to a piling sunk 15 feet into the sea bed? It is
>22 feet nested and would be nested unless I was specifically operating. I
>would be using it as a support for wire antennas only...no beam. What do you
>think?

Hi, Steve --

       You're in a 105 MPH wind speed zone and within 100 miles (100 feet? -
hi) of a hurricane oceanline.  I don't think there's anything you can do to
make it survive those conditions; 2X12s aren't going to cut it IMO.  I would
run this by an engineer in any case.  I'll post this to TowerTalk to see if
anyone else has something to add.

    I don't know what you could use in place of the crankup.  If you did have
a bombproof way to install it, the MA550 might be okay.  It's only rated at
70 MPH but that's with an antenna load on it.  With no load on it, you will
be able to raise the wind survivability speed but that still doesn't address
the side and vertical load when it's installed to your wooden dock.

73,  Steve  K7LXC