BX Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: BX Tower
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 10:21:54 -0500

>I have just purchased an HDBX-48 tower and could use some advice. Rohn
>claims the windload to be capable of 18 sq ft at 70mph. Rohn also states a
>boom lenth of 10'. I am planning on putting a KLM-KT34a on top of it. Anyone
>see any problems with that? Also, does anyone have the address or phone #
>for rohn?

Hi, Doug --

    First things first.  If you are in El Paso county, you are in an 85 MPH
wind zone.  Since the HDBX is rated at 18 sq. ft., you should cut the
capacity approximately in half for 90 MPH.

    The BX series was designed to be a TV antenna tower and doesn't have a
lot of torsional resistance, that's why the limit on boom length.
 Personally, if the HDBX is installed per the factory specs IMO you really
shouldn't have any problems with your proposed installation.  Just keep in
mind that you're right at the edge of the envelope.

    Rohn's number is 309-697-4400.  TOWER TECH is a Rohn dealer.  Is there
anything that I can help you with?  BTW, Rohn catalogs that have all the
specs are $5.00.

73,  Steve  K7LXC