Raising (Hell) Beams AND VIDEO OFFER DETAIL

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Raising (Hell) Beams AND VIDEO OFFER DETAIL
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 04:52:37 -0800
Lee Buller wrote:

> Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> I ask for a "cookbook" method raising large antennas.  So far, I haven't got
> any pictures, but lets see if I can write a little verbage here as to what
> people are telling me.
>
> 1.  Place a rope from the top of the mast to a solid connecting point away
> from the tower.
>
> 2.  Install two pullies on the rope.
>
> 3.  Move the antenna under the rope and secure it to the lower pully on the
> rope.  The boom should be perpendicular to the rope.  Make sure that the
> boom to mast clamp is facing the right direction.   The antenna should be
> tied to the balance point.
>
> 4.  Attach and 3 to 4 foot arm on the boom parallel to the rope using a
> U-Bold.  At the outer reach or the arm attach the second pully.  You now are
> supported by two pullies.  The reason to put the arm on the boom to act as a
> lever and keep the antenna from rolling over or flipping while raising the
> antenna.  It cannot flip over with this arraingment.
>
> 5.  OPTIONAL:  Tag lines.  A tag line can be place on each end of the boom
> to keep the antenna horitontal during lifting.  Tag lines are very long
> loops of rope which can be taken off after the antenna is in place.  Smaller
> rope or cord could be used for the Tag Lines
>
> 6.  Place a pully at the top of the tower and string a pull line through the
> pulling and attach it to the arm on the boom of the antenna.  The pull line
> rope then goes to the ground.
>
> 7.  Slow pull the antenna up the rope until it comes to a place where you
> want to attach it to the mast.  A person on the ground might have to loosen
> the tram line to allow the placement of the antenna on the mast.  I suggest
> that a "hay-knot" be used at the lower end of the tram line to insure that
> the rope doesn't get out of hand.
>
> Please make comments and suggestions as to this very simple seven point
> cookbook method.  I would like to know what I missed because I have never
> done it this way before.  I want to incorporate your thoughts and experience
> into the cookbook.  Thanks
>
> 73
>
> Lee
> k0wa@southwind.net
>
> --
> Problems:                 K7LXC@contesting.com

Lee, your method as described says:  "rope" and "string".  That will not
work!  It requires Steel-rope for the tram/pulley arrangement and
"rope"  (I use 1/2 inch poly) to pull the antenna up the tram cable.

The steel tram cable needs to be significantly tensioned to support even
a medium size beam to a reasonable height.  I tensioned my tram cable
(3/16 stainless steel rope) to 1000 Lbs tension (as measured with a LOOS
tension gague) to haul up my 40-2CD to 67 ft.  Tensioning to anything
less sagged too much to pull the antenna up!!

So, you see, that's why I say you can't (shouldn't) use a (non-steel)
rope for the tram in you description.  And the forces on the pull line
are also significant.  I use the 1/2 inch poly and pull it with a
tractor!

All this is on tape, and, as I have offered, I will send you (and anyone
who requests it) a copy of my tapes, for the cost of the tape and
shipping/duplicating expenses.

I have already received many many requests for the tapes.  I am in the
process of buying blank tapes, determining the shipping costs, and the
duplicating costs.  I plan to incorporate all three videos on one tape
for all of you.  Once I have this done, I'll send all who responded to
my offer an email with the cost.

If you haven't sent me an email requesting copies of the tape, please do
so.  Once I tell you the cost, and I'll ship you a copy once I get your
check.

73!

Bill, N3RR