C-3 vs KT-34XA

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: C-3 vs KT-34XA
From: grhosler1@mmm.com (grhosler1@mmm.com)
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 15:57:00 -0600
How about a comparison of the C-3XL to the KT-34XA.  33 vs 32 foot boom length,
both tribanders, etc..  Still hard for me to believe that the 5BA can beat out
the C-3XL as the XL is optimized for 10M, 15M & 20M.

de KN0Z  Gary

>3. As far as Force12 advertising claims, I'm skeptical. First, comparing
>a C3 to a KT34XA, the XA is really 4 elements on 15 and 20, and 5-6 elements
>on 20. If you check with the experts, or do some modelling, you'll
>find that the XA comes out 4-8 dB better in the forward gain department.
>4 dB is 60% of the power. To equate the two antennas' performance would
>require that the XA dissipate almost 1KW in the form of heat.

       No, I think in order to equate the two antennas performance you'd have
to have the same boom length.  Comparing an 18 foot boom antenna (the C-3) to
a 32 foot boom antenna (the XA) is not only a case of apples and oranges but
also is downright misleading in terms of espousing accurate information and
comparisons.

     Otherwise, your well thought out comments are always welcome and
appreciated on TowerTalk.

73,  Steve  K7LXC