Pinpointing Powerline Radiation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Pinpointing Powerline Radiation
From: fvanderz@mail.awinc.com (FrankVanderZande)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 12:00:24 -0800 (PST)
- Listen to the interference at the affected receiving station. Note the
characteristics of the interference.

- Tune your portable receiver (e.g. Radio Shack Patrolman) to the highest
frequency where you hear inteference with the same characteristics.

- Start walking near the power line....If the level drops off.... walk in
the other direction.

- As the interference level increases, tune the receiver to the highest possible
frequency where you still receive the interference with the same
characteristics.

- Keep walking till level and/or frequency starts dropping off. Backtrack to
the spot
where the interference is strongest at the highest frequency you can receive.

- If your receiver is tuned to a frequency above 150 Mhz., you are probably
at or +/- one power pole away from the source.

- Sometimes taping the power pole with a rock will affect the interference
source and you then are definitely are at the right pole or +/- one pole
(vibrations travel down the wire).

- Touching guy wires is not recommended for your health. Don't forget the
power pole
is just part of a  voltage divider (eg 14.4Kv or higher)..... and a guy wire
terminated high on the power pole can be quite shocking. This is also hard
hat area ..... you never know what can come down.

- At this point you should involve your power company.......

At work I like using a spectrum analyzer in the vehicle. I usually look at 1
to 200 MHz and can frequently drive up to the pole. An IFR 1200 and external
attenuator box works great too!  Then I use an HP Ultra Sonic Detector which
frequently points to the problem area on the power pole. (The detector is a
small parabolic dish with ultra sonic microphone - very directional). Then I
give the powerpole markings and any additional details to the power company.

   Frank - VE7AV@fortress.awinc.com