40M Beam and Mast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: 40M Beam and Mast
From: broz@csn.net (John Brosnahan)
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 18:19:58 -0700
At 05:32 PM 2/3/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>
>I got a question for you. Do you think a 4130 Cromolly Mast 20' x 2" x
.375" would hold a KLM 2 EL. 40 meter beam (45lbs - 6 ft2 - 16' boom) 15
feet above the tower? I will be using a thrust bearing. Let me know what you
think!

>Thanks and 73,
>John - WM9U

John, if I use 1.65 sqft for the effective mast area and that acts from an
equivalent point half way up the mast (7.5 ft) and I use 6 sqft for the
antenna at 15 ft above the tower, and I use 90,000 psi for the 4130
(a little conservative) I get wind survival for the mast as 102 mph.

But that ignores dynamic loading caused by gusting and resonance
on what would appear to be a somewhat "springy" installation.

I'd want to be sure the tower itself could handle this amount of
force with the long lever arm, not to mention the usual rotator issues.

Hope that helps--

73  John  W0UN

John Brosnahan
La Salle Research Corp.