Tower Loading

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Tower Loading
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 08:40:04 EST
From:
Fred Hopengarten, K1VR
Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105 * 617/259-0088
e-mail:  k1vr@juno.com or k1vr@k1vr.jjm.com
Big antennas, high in the sky, are better than small ones, low.

On Fri, 7 Feb 1997 14:57:12 -0800 (PST) [a towertalkian] writes:

> Certainly there are guys who know this  stuff [on how to do
calculations]
>and
>some of them are no doubt listening to all of this.  They are probably
>professional engineers who spent a significant part of their life
>learning
>this stuff the hard way and are not about to give it away for free.
>Even if
>they are willing to give it away for free, they incur some liability
>for
>what they say and it just isn't smart to take such risks without
>compensation.

K1VR:  Each time this thought jumps up, I try to tamp it back down.  A
friend or acquaintance, e-mail correspondent, columnist, or software
writer incurs no liability to a third party injured by a tower failure by
reason of having provided engineering formulas, software, books, articles
or spreadsheets.  A professional engineer may freely convey formulas and
techniques and sleep well at night.

I offer this opinion, and claim it to be a statement of the law,  to the
entire internet without fear of being sued.

Having said that, the game changes when a PE is engaged by a specific
client and seals a specific drawing.  With one exception (and the facts
were special), I have never regretted spending money on architects,
professional engineers, lawyers (even though I am one), CPA's,
physicians, teachers and others trained in the learned arts.  I have
always found my money to be well spent, as the downside risk was simply
too great, and life is too short.

As a friend of mine who is a litigator says:  "You do anything a whole
lot and you get good at it."

                                Respectfully submitted,

                                Fred Hopengarten, J.D.  K1VR
                                ARRL Volunteer Counsel