"Mike Faucheaux" <mikef@sat.net>: This is the phone co. at

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: "Mike Faucheaux" <mikef@sat.net>: This is the phone co. at
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 97 09:47:44 -0500
>Subject:     "Mike Faucheaux" <mikef@sat.net>: This is the phone co. at work
>From:        NICHOLAS A GANS, nickgans@juno.com
>
>      I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but we, online
>users,  are
>about to get ripped off again!  Yes, the telephone companies are
>trying to get
>an additional charge added to your per min. internet use.

I hate to spoil your fun, but you don't seem to be well informed. There
is no such action taking place.

>I am forwarding this in hope that with enough response we can
>stop the
>FCC from approving a proposal from the telephone companies.

Yes, which docket would that be? Hmm?

>Please
>respond to the address indicated below so we might fight phone
>companies from
>imposing additional charges to what we already pay for online
>usage!

Phone companies can't make additional charges unless permitted by
regulation. Those regulations start with the FCC. There is no such NPRM.

>Seems Ma Bell is unhappy that business is conducted over their
>wires and she
>wants a share. "I am writing you this to inform you of a very
>important matter
>currently under review by the FCC. Most telephone companies have
>filed a
>proposal with the FCC to impose per minute charges for your
>internet service. They
>contend that your usage has or will hinder the operation of the
>telephone
>network.  It  is my belief that internet usage will diminish if
>users were required
>to pay additional per minute charges.

And the docket number of this action?

>     The FCC has created an email box for your comments,
>received by February 13, 1997.
>Send your comments to isp@fcc.gov and tell them what you think.
> Please forward this email to all your friends on the internet so
>all our
>voices may be heard.   Power to the people!

This mailbox is for a Notice of Inquiry Docket #96-263. There is
currently no regulatory action. The FCC is just soliciting comments on
what sort of regulatory reform should be considered.

Better yet, head to <http://www.fcc.gov/isp.html> and become familiar
with the proceedings before writing a message. You'll also need to follow
the form for FCC comments. Random mail messages are likely to be ignored,
especially if they fail to reference the appropriate dockets.

>You must send your message by February 13,1997. Please pass this
>information fo everyone you know.

Comment period has been extended to February 21, 1997. Frankly, unless
you are an ISP, there's probably no point in commenting until a Notice of
Proposed Rulemaking appears.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR           Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901