Crosby Guywire Clips <U-bolt &saddle> "Which Way Do Dey Goes?"

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Crosby Guywire Clips <U-bolt &saddle> "Which Way Do Dey Goes?"
From: K2JAS@worldnet.att.net (Roger L. Elowitz)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 14:46:36 -0500
Hi Rod, N4SI... et al,

Thanks for the interesting post on the Crosby clips (I believe they go by
that name)....and so many others. I hope you don't mind my asking... but
where in the world is this esoteric information available in print form?  Is
it in Steve's new book... or only from the "School of Hard Knocks and
Bruised Knuckles?"

Before I left for Florida on vacation (yeah, I'm back now with a vengeance
and a suntan) I installed about a dozen of these suckers on some dacron guy
ropes (with kevlar center) on my rooftop push-up masting. I too asked the
question "where does the saddle go?" for the Crosby clips. Thanks for your
answers... although by now its too cold to go up on the roof and see what I did.

What I was concerned about more was the fact that the u-bolt in these clips
and the nuts were all galvanized and I vividly recalled playing with some
very nasty rusted ones in the past. At local ham flea markets I've recently
seen the "all stainless" variety and the going price was astronomical- about
$3.00 each for some of the smaller varieties. Do you recommend spraying
these galvanized things with a cold galvanizing spray paint as I've done or
some other treatment or... simply replacing them as part of routine
maintenance since they're cheap enough?

Inquiring minds want to know!

TIA for your wisdom
Roger, K2JAS