Aluminum Tower idiosyncracy

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Aluminum Tower idiosyncracy
From: geoiii@bga.com (george fremin iii)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 18:11:08 -0600 (CST)
>>Before it goes back up I want to repair the splits and will surely use SS
>>fasteners. I will also utilize the 33+ at all the joints - excellent
>>suggestion by Tom (N4KG).
>
>   ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE STAINLESS STEEL BOLTS ON YOUR ALUMINUM SELF
>   SUPPORTING TOWER!!  You MUST use GRADE 8 steel bolts.  The shearing
>   stress on a self supporting tower is even greater than a guyed
tower.

Yep - as I pointed out about the cable clamps.

typical stainless steel   90,000 psi
Grade 5 SAE              120,000 psi
Grade 8 SAE              150,000 psi

The above info is from the Carroll Smith book.
There is ALOT more info about bolts that is worth knowing - go
buy the book.

--

George Fremin III
Austin, Texas C.K.U.    "My theory is that if you can work everything