Safe crank up work? (was: Crank-up mishap)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Safe crank up work? (was: Crank-up mishap)
From: ke1fo@contesting.com (Alfred J. Frugoli)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 16:32:20 +0000
Terry Dunlap wrote:
> Those certainly sound like good rules to me but I'm still in the dark about
> safe alternatives.  Do you crank the tower all the way down and use an
> extension ladder to reach the mast/rotor/antennas?  Do you still block the
> tower when using a ladder and if so how do you safely block it before using
> a ladder???

I use an extention ladder while the tower is "fully retracted".  I lower the
tower as far as the limit switch will allow, then I place the ladder on the
lowest section, and never on any of the higher ones for fear it may put a
wierd strain on the cable etc and casue the tower to shift.  I do not block
the tower when I'm doing this kind of work. (probably should though)  Then I
climb the ladder to work on boom/mast connection, switch box, feed line
checks, etc.  If I have to do anything that requires touching the tower
sections themselves or reachign inside the sections (i.e. rotor work,
tightening u-bolts on boom for inverted V's or the switchbox) I tilt the tower
over and then I put a large 12x12 beam that is about 5 feet tall under the
tower to take th strain off the raising fixture.  Then I extend the sections
out enough to work on the rotor and block the sections so they won't slide
back.

That's my method, anybody else have any hints, suggestions, criticisms?

> 73 de Terry KK6T
>
> --
> Problems:                 K7LXC@contesting.com

Al, KE1FO, ex. KE6BER    mailto:ke1fo@contesting.com or ke6ber@tiac.net
Check out my web page, http://www.tiac.net/users/ke6ber for summaries from the
contest reflector and a growing list of amateur radio links.