more on traps

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: more on traps
From: fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com (Tony Brock-Fisher)
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 10:14:06 -0500
I'm trying to stay on the sidelines this time, but I will make a few
comments:

1. I did do the KT-34XA trap heat measurements. I don't claim either
that they are 100 percent accurate, nor that they explain the whole
story. They are really a 'ballpark', thought-provoker. I'll provide
copies of my summary on request.

2. Shortening a dipole element does reduce it's gain slightly. Typical
shortening ratios, however, have a pretty slight effect. I make these
statements based on computer modelling, where it's easy to have a dipole
of any length, with 100% efficiency, fed at any frequency. If I remember
correctly, the typical shortening of elements in a tribander (worst at
20 meters) results in pattern gain loss of fractional dB.

-Tony, K1KP, fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com