[TowerTalk] Visible Material

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Visible Material
From: kurscj@oampc12.csg.mot.com (Chad Kurszewski WE9V)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 14:16:16 -0600
>       Rohn 25 is an antenna support structure 12 inches in face width.
>Rohn 45 is 18 inches in face width.  Yet each is built with a lattice
>structure.  As a Volunteer Counsel, I think I'd like to make those
>measurements seem even smaller, if the right phrasing can be created.
>Lattice towers have a lot of open air, so I'm thinking it ought to be
>possible to craft sentences such as:
>
>While carrying a 12 inch face, for each square foot of structure, only
>____ square inches of that square foot is steel.  The rest is clear air.
>
>OR
>
>For each square foot of this structure's face, only ___ % is solid
>surface, dramatically reducing visibility.

>From memory and may not be 100% correct:

Rohn 25 legs            = 1.25" dia
Rohn 25 crossbraces     = 5/16" dia

Considering 3 legs, and 3 crossbraces for a cross-section (not 100% correct),
the area is 4.6875 square inches.

And, if viewed from the correct angle, one leg and one brace is hidden,
for only a 3.125" obstruction!

---
Chad Kurszewski, WE9V         e-mail:  Chad_Kurszewski@csg.mot.com
The Official "Sultans of Shwing" Web Site:  http://www.QTH.com/sos