[TowerTalk] Painting a used EZ Way crankup tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Painting a used EZ Way crankup tower
From: raylarue@gte.net (Ray LaRue)
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 06:06:08 -0800
Scott Bullock wrote:

> Hello fellow towertalkies,
>
> Here's a good question for everybody, I just bought an old EZ Way RBX-50
> crankup/foldover tower that has been sitting for some time, It's got
surface
> rust on it but otherwise in excellent condition. I plan to have the entire
> tower professionally sandblasted before I put it up. What's the best way to
> refinish it?
>
> I had two thoughts-
> 1. Sandblast and prime with Rustoleum rusty metal primer and then paint
with
> Rustoleum silver paint.
> or:
> 2. Sandblast and paint tower with cold galvanizing compound (obviously at a
> much higher cost).
>
> Which finish would last the longest in our wonderful New England Climate?
> Which finish would withstand the rubbing of the crankup sections better ?
>
> Also if anybody has any engineering docs for this tower in a 90 mph wind
> zone, I would be interested in getting a copy for my permit application
> (have copies of some of the original EZ Way literature, but only goes to 70
mph)

> Thanks in advance to all,
> Scott
> KA1CLX
>
> --

My experience is the Rustoleum is worthless in the long run.  I designed
and built my tower mounts and accessories with cold galvanizing over 24
years ago.  I recently gave a few touch ups where I had gained a few
dings from several moves.  The pieces are still essentially perfect.  Go
with the cold galvanizing.  Brushing is better than spraying.  (Puts more
on, wastes less).
73,
W4BYG