[TowerTalk] extending the boom

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] extending the boom
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 15:05:20 -0500 (EST)
At 12:34 PM 3/17/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Has anyone tried extending the boom of a Cushcraft 40-2cd.  I have a
>boom from a KLM 3 ele 40, I think it is 20 ft vs 12 for the 40-2cd.  I
>had a full sized 2 element 40 until mother nature found it!  Too much to
>maintain.
>
>Mike
>W0MU

Mike,

Cushcraft used a Fortran based modeling system to get max gain from the
40-2CD.  Altho this was 20 years ago its still hard to get more gain from a
2el on 40.  Several have run models on the antenna and its seems to all
point to 23' as best for the reflector/driven el combo of the 40-2CD.

If you extend the boom (I have heard 38' and 41') and make it a 3el
array...but for only about 1.1DbD difference.  Seems the best thing to do is
apply as many of the mechanical mods you can, stack a pair, or go to a full
size 3 el.

Dave K4JRB