[TowerTalk] Antenna switching ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna switching ?
From: JC_Smith@designlink.com (JC Smith)
Date: 25 Mar 1997 17:57:53 GMT
>How about a thread about antenna switching at the big contest stations,
>not a switch by switch account but the general layout.For example do you
>try and arrange it so that every antenna can be switched to both radios
>or does the second radio just use one or two antennas and all the others
>are switched to the main radio.Thanks 73,Glenn

Here at K0HPS we use a separate antenna farm for each radio.  You wouldn't
want two guys to accidentally switch their radios onto the same three-stack
of 80 meter monobanders at the same time, would you?  Then it's a simple
matter to have each rig automatically select the correct stack when you
change bands.  We are considering going to multiple stacks for each radio and
band.  That would eliminate the rotators which everyone knows are a big
headache and expense (not to mention all those leaky rotor cable connectors
you have to keep sealed).  If we did that we would install a voting system
which would then select the best stack automatically for any given signal.
Also, since we didn't want the losses associated with running full power
through the switches, we switch before the amplifiers and have a seperate
Alpha 87 on each stack.

Works for us.

73 - JC,k0hps@amsat.org