[TowerTalk] pier pin basics

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] pier pin basics
From: psoper@encore.com (Pete Soper)
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 14:20:54 EST
Thanks to all for the quick primer about pier pins.
Here's a summary that might be useful.

The purpose of the pier pin is only to keep the base from
sliding and to allow it to rotate during installation.
Any force on the pin is lateral.

There is no need for threaded stock, no need to put a nut
on the end, definitely no need to torque it so hard that a
"J" is needed to keep it from rotating in the concrete. And
with no nut on the end, no "J" or buried flat washers or
anything else is needed to prevent the thing from being pulled
out, because there is no pulling force present. As others
pointed out, if a nut on the end becomes important to
prevent the base from hoping off the concrete pad, you've
probably got a big pile of junk now, not a tower.

A galvanized cold rolled steel rod of the size recommended
by Rohn is the thing to use. In other words, like the one
Rohn sells! (my memory of it in the catalog must have gotten
bent)

Now I can concentrate properly on the worry that if I don't
insulate my EHS guys they'll direct lightning down and weld my
turnbuckles. So much to worry about, so little time :-)

Regards,
Pete
KS4XG