[TowerTalk] Hy-Gain U-bolt sources

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hy-Gain U-bolt sources
From: broz@csn.net (John Brosnahan)
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 09:59:52 -0700 (MST)
>YES they are. Any idea where to get torque data for our favorite
>tower hardware? I, for one, would consider carrying a small click
>torque wrench up the tower to prevent the above problem, if I had the
>data...

Rod, it isn't a function of over-torquing the stainless steel hardware.
When stainless steel galls the nut will lock up -- often long before it
has been run all the down on the threads.  Both aluminum and stainless
are notorious for this--but it depends on how the threads are made just
how susceptible they are to galling.  If the threads are rolled then
it seems like the problem is not as bad--if the thread are cut you can
be sure of galling a significant percentage.  I built up 64 5-L Yagis at
49.92 Mhz recently and did some studies.  With anti-seize or almost
any lubricant the custom-made stainless-steel U-bolts would never
gall.  Without a lubricant I would lose about 10% that would gall and
you would destroy the U-bolt before you got the nut off or tightented
down to where it was engaging.

Even a little spray can of WD-40 is a big help (and easy to use on
the tower).

73  John  W0UN