[TowerTalk] Telrex v. Cushcraft, etc.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Telrex v. Cushcraft, etc.
From: rlboyd@CapAccess.org (Rich L. Boyd)
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 10:37:18 -0500 (EST)
I can definitely see the advantage of limiting one's self to the
four-element Cushcraft (for instance) and have a big stack of those.
They're "off the shelf" and relatively affordable, practically a
disposable antenna -- if they break, fix 'em if possible, buy a
replacement if not.  I note many of the big New England stations use this
approach, not as likely to go with 48' booms, homebrew, etc. as we do
here.  Of course we all know in New England all you need is a TH6 at 40'.

In a previous message I used the fine Force-12 antennas as an example of
the opposite end of the spectrum from Telrex; Force-12 made their antenna
as lightweight as possible using the rapid taper; Telrex seemed to make
theirs as heavy as possible.  But the Force-12 antennas seem to be as
well designed and made as Telrex, but with a totally different mechanical
approach.

73 - Rich Boyd, KE3Q