[TowerTalk] 2000' tower collapse (Fargo, ND) - more

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 2000' tower collapse (Fargo, ND) - more
From: Joe Subich" <W8IK@ibm.net (Joe Subich)
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 97 20:16:14 -0400
After posting the information on the 2000' tower collapse in Fargo, ND
this past Saturday, I had a chance to see video of the site today.  Unlike
the Monroe, LA collapse, this one appears to have generally laid out for
most, if not all its entire length.

Considering that the Fargo tower was brought down by severe ice and wind
(a major blizzard/sleet storm was in progress), this tower looks like the
upwind guy wires failed allowing the wind to blow it down.  With the
National Association of Broadcasters convention in progress this week, I
suspect it will be some time before further details and an exact cause
is determined.

Fortunately, there was nobody on site in Fargo and thus no injury or loss
of life.  OTH, replacement towers and broadcast transmitters are not cheap.
Figure the Fargo and Monroe losses in the $3 million plus range, each (not
counting the loss of business <G>).

73,

   ... Joe Subich, W8IK  ex-AD8I
       <W8IK@ibm.net>