Re[2]: [TowerTalk] Preform Guy Grip Install

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re[2]: [TowerTalk] Preform Guy Grip Install
From: Dave_Raymond-CSUS04@email.mot.com (Dave Raymond-CSUS04)
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 16:38:00 -0500
Message authorized by:
    : blckhole@ripco.com@INTERNET at EMAIL

     Keith:

     You're absolutely correct.  PLP has a very broad product line with
     many variations of preform products.  I recently purchased some
     "preforms" from them for my rotating 130' Rohn 55.  I was about to
     purchase them from a large amateur tower dealer.  I thought I'd check
     with PLP directly to see if I could save a few bucks...it was a good
     thing I did.

     To make a long story short, I did save quite a few bucks (like about
     half the price).  BUT, more importantly, the PLP representative would
     not sell me anything until I gave him specific information on my
     application.  He was aghast that the preforms I was about to buy from
     the amateur tower supplier were "absolutely the wrong ones to use"
     even though they came from PLP.   Of course, he refused to sell me or
     even give me a price quote on the incorrect ones (I didn't want to buy
     them anyway) I'm sure due to obvious liability reasons.

     He not only wanted the guy wire size, he wanted to know which way the
     guy wire spiraled (which way it laid), the tower height, tower type,
     how much square feet of wind load on the tower, exactly how the tower
     was guyed, and the length of each guy wire.

     Only then would he quote/sell me the correct preforms.  We have many
     substantial amateur towers here in Iowa using PLP preforms...none have
     failed (knock on wood).

     Preforms are a great product...but you must be careful about your
     choice of product.

     73,

     Dave
     W0FLS

     P.S.  The PLP rep also cautioned me about using some 3 or 4 strand
     preforms (what the power utilities use) that I had on hand.  He said
     they are designed for short guy wire applications and would almost
     certainly fail over time if used in tower applications where the guy
     wires may well reach over 100'.  I realize he may be more than a
     little biased, but why take chances in losing a large tower/antenna
     investment?