[TowerTalk] Going Price for Used 25G/45G sections?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Going Price for Used 25G/45G sections?
From: n4kg@juno.com (T. A. Russell)
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 21:30:59 EDT
Before you buy USED tower,
ask yourself the following questions:

1 - How old are you now?

2 - How long do you want this tower to last?

3 - Do you really want to go through the expense and effort to
     replace it when it's useful life has come to an end?

4 - Did you know that for insulated guys, the cost of guy wire,
      insulators, guy wraps, turnbuckles, anchors, guy brackets, etc
      is approximately equal to the cost of the tower?

A Rohn spokesperson once told me the estimated useful lifetime of
Rohn 25 in a NON-corrosive environment is 40 years.

If you save 50% on the tower, that only represents a 25% savings
on the total system...and you will get a shorter useful lifetime.
(Regalvanizing is a viable option, but there goes a big part of your
savings...and you have to transport the tower to and from the
galvanizing plant.)

I have no affiliation or interest in any tower company.

After 20 years at this QTH, I find myself with several rusting towers
(which were obtained USED in my younger days).

I now recommend to all my younger friends that they spend the
extra few dollars and buy NEW tower if they intend to keep on
radioing for the rest of their days.

de Tom N4KG

.