[TowerTalk] Braiding Eye into wire rope (long)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Braiding Eye into wire rope (long)
From: lrpeter@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (lrpeter@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu)
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 07:00:41 +0000
> BTW, I usually am the one on top of the tower and the ** knots I
> see arrive continue to amaze me and I can't find them in any books
> or articles anywhere.

I couldn't agree more. Most of the people I know figure the more
loops of rope they wrap around an object, the better the "knot" must
be.

> Braiding an eye in common rope is possible, much more involved and I will
> not describe this process.

Actually, an eye splice is fairly easy; all (hemp rope) splicing is
easy. Before we got these real slick slings that Steve introduced us
to, I took a 15' length of manila, unlaid 8' of it, made an eye
splice, and relaid the rope back up. I then did an end splice on each
end, and used the result as a sling or truss with a ready made eye
for lifting antennas. I spent the better part of a midnight shift
doing that. Thanks; your tax dollars at work.

> Basic knot tieing is a MUST for all amateurs and I hope everyone
> will learn how to tie a bowlin and half hitch at least.

Again, I agree, except I consider the following to be the minimum
complement of knots for the tower worker: bowline, clove hitch, sheet
bend, half hitch, figure eight, square knot. The last is because
there is actually a couple of reasonable uses for the square knot,
but more importantly, I want my crew to be able to tie it so they
don't tie a granny knot; one of the most dangerous conditions of rope
proximity there is.

Handiest rope trick?: when you need someone to send up a tool or a
part, such as a screwdriver, wrench, u-bolt, etc., instead of trying
to "tie" the rope around it, just untwist the rope a bit about a foot
from the end, and stick the tool in between the strands. It will lay
back up very tight, and the tool/part won't come out on the way up.

You do have a figure eight knot in the end of the rope for such trips
up the tower, don't you? Ever try to re-rig your gin pole up on the
tower because you let the rope run through?

Nowadays, I have a bowline in the end for clipping carabiners to.

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE
         (c) 5 November, 1996