[TowerTalk] Knots for hams

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Knots for hams
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 10:47:59 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-04-19 04:14:39 EDT, lrpeter@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
writes:

> Again, I agree, except I consider the following to be the minimum
>  complement of knots for the tower worker: bowline, clove hitch, sheet
>  bend, half hitch, figure eight, square knot. The last is because
>  there is actually a couple of reasonable uses for the square knot,
>  but more importantly, I want my crew to be able to tie it so they
>  don't tie a granny knot; one of the most dangerous conditions of rope
>  proximity there is.

      A pretty aggressive list of knots for occasional tower workers.  If
you're going to be cast away on a desert island  and can only take one knot
with you, it should be the bowline.  I use if about 85% of the time.  (it's
the 'rabbit comes out of the hole, around the tree and  back into the hole'
knot for the knot challenged).

     Second is the occasional clove hitch, then trucker's hitch for
tightening a rope line (which includes an overhand knot and half hitches).
 That's about it.

>  You do have a figure eight knot in the end of the rope for such trips
>  up the tower, don't you? Ever try to re-rig your gin pole up on the
>  tower because you let the rope run through?
>  Nowadays, I have a bowline in the end for clipping carabiners to.

      The figure 8 is endorsed by my editor who is also a mountain climber.
 It's easier to teach someone than a bowline and you can tie it in a couple
of seconds.  The downside is that it is a physically bigger knot than the
bowline.  Anyone who's ever done any tower work knows that when a load
arrives at the top of the tower that it needs to be one or two inches higher
in order to clear the top of the tower.  In this case, the bowline would be
an inch or two smaller than the figure 8.  Other than that, the figure 8 is a
very handy, easy to learn knot.

73,  Steve  K7LXC