[TowerTalk] Cutting EHS?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cutting EHS?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 22:51:39 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-04-22 22:27:38 EDT, w2up@bellatlantic.net (Barry
Kutner) writes:

>  Wonder what everyone uses to cut EHS guy wire? I've tried a
>  variety including a hack saw (pure torture!) to bolt cutters (put a
>  nice dent in the jaws). What works best?

*Bolt cutters -- see W0UN post.
*Hack saw -- see comments above.
*Hammer and chisel on steel plate -- crude and semi-dangerous but works
*Impact wire rope cutter -- useful if you can find them but very single
purpose device
*Skilsaw with pipe cutting aggregate blade -- fast but use eye protection and
gloves
*Hand grinder -- fast but use eye protection and gloves

    I prefer using a powered device because they're fast and easy.  Put a
couple of wraps of electrical tape on the spot that you want to cut.  It'll
not only mark the spot but it'll also keep the ends from unravelling when
they're cut.  The Skilsaw method uses a metal cutting blade that costs about
$4.00 so it's cheap.  Just BE REAL CAREFUL -- you'll be spewing out lots of
HOT sparks so wear appropriate safety equipment.

     Don't use your garden variety cable cutters.  They're designed for
softer metal than EHS and will croak and be permanently damaged if used on
EHS.  EHS cutters will say EHS on them.

    BTW, Phillystran can be cut with a pair of dykes or razor knife.  Just
thought I'd mention it.

73,  Steve  K7LXC