[TowerTalk] Mast and Rotor Strength

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast and Rotor Strength
From: dick@merlin.libelle.com (Dick Flanagan)
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 20:23:34 -0700
In a few months I will be installing a US Tower HDX-72MDPL.

The mast I purchased with the tower was US Tower's M-15R which is a 2" O.D.
x 15 ft. reinforced galvenized mast, weighing 50 pounds.  All their masts
have .120" walls and the M-15R has a steel pipe insert in the lower half of
the mast giving that area a .250" wall thickness.

I question whether this mast is adequate.

The bottom four feet will be in the tower, though a thrust bearing and
connected to a new T2X rotor.

The top will have a TH11DX just above the top of the tower and a 402-CD ten
feet above that.

We are in an 80 mph wind zone.

Questions:  Is the mast adequate?  If not, what should I use?
            Is the rotor adequate?  If not, what should I use?

Thanks for your collective wisdom.

73, Dick

--
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada