[TowerTalk] Garage door opener rotator

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Garage door opener rotator
From: amburch@owt.com (Jim Pruitt)
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 06:32:40 -0700
I too would like to know why 110vac to the rotor is so taboo?  I have a
HyGain 400 rotobrake of early 70's vintange and it uses 110vac. It was a
very popular rotor of its time and I understand that it is still a favorite
for the semi serious dxer and the wanna be dxers like myself.   Building
code seems to be much more rigid and specific about the installation of
110vac (and higher) compared to the loose code category 24vac sprinkler
wiring that most rotors use these days.  One inspector even went so far as
to tell me that I had to run the 110 inside of its own conduit up the tower
and could not run it inside the 8 conductor rotor cable (in conduit).
Because I have the HyGain 400 and would like to use it, what are the current
code requirements for powering it?  Why is 110 such a taboo?  Am I in the
minority in also putting a yard light (that uses 110) on a tower?

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt, WA7DUY

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>