[TowerTalk] re: saddles

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] re: saddles
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (AA1K jon zaimes)
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 10:21:08 -0400 (EDT)
At 09:48 PM 4/26/97 -0400, you wrote:

>I use a 2' u-bolt and saddle, like those that come with KLM and FORCE
>12 antennas. I welded the saddle on the outside of the angle, then drill the
>holes for the u-bolt.

What a neat idea to keep from dropping the saddles! I've always found them a
minor nuisance on my several boom-to-mast plates that use saddles and u-bolts.

Since I don't do welding, and since some of my boom/mast plates are aluminum
(on smaller beams), I'm thinking that I could drill the saddles and plates
and use a couple of sheet metal screws to fasten the saddles to the plates.
Would this be a problem with weakening of the plates or saddles? Has anyone
done this?

73/Jon AA1K