[TowerTalk] Re: Commercial Source for Gamma Match

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Commercial Source for Gamma Match
From: n6cr@ix.netcom.com (Dr. Richard W. Musicer)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 21:27:01 -0500 (CDT)
Bill Fisher W4AN wrote:

>1.  OK... How do I insulate the element (easily)?  It's a small
>element on a 3" boom and I already have the element to boom clamps for
>them now.

Ah, so this is the problem.  I like HyGain insulator/bracket combo but
this won't work for you with that boom size.  This is why I like
starting with a HyGain antenna for the original parts.  Yup, you're
stuck.  A gamma it is for you.

>2.  Electrically better?  Where do you get that info?  I've heard some
>people "feel" that a hairpin or balanced feed system yields better
>pattern but I dont think I've seen any conclusive evidence.

You are correct.  It "feels" lots better after having done it both
ways.  The hairpin was much easier to find that one sweet spot.  And it
was less than 1/4 inch different than the length predicted by the
computer.  I do believe I have seen the cleaner pattern info myself but
don't remember where.

> I'll ask the experts.

Always a good move.  Are you going to ask the experts at HyGain or at
Cushcraft????

73, Rick, N6CR