[TowerTalk] tower damage / insurance question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tower damage / insurance question
From: jleikhim@nettally.com (Leikhim, Joe)
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 00:36:43 -0400
wa2moe wrote:

> Paul...Bill N3RR wrote:
>
> >What they are doing is "depreciating" your installation.  This is a
> >typical insurance procedure and is quite logical.  You have already used
> >the portion the useful life prior to the accident and the company who
> >caused your installation to fail is responsible only for that portion of
> >the useful life AFTER the accident.  At the end of the useful life you
> >will have to pay for improvements to extend the useful life.  The
> >accident causer is not responsible for this either.  That's the logic.
> -----
> Bill is plumb wrong.

How about this hypothetical situation: You own an item of value, car,
bicycle, unique piece of antique radio gear etc. In excellent condition,
you are pleased with it, no problems, no oil leaks, tires good, tubes
and capacitors are tip top, therefore you have no intention of selling
it whatsoever regardless of offer. This item of yours is not being
offered for sale. Not for sale, sorry. Now Johnny Klutz-Bucket comes
along and crashes into it, burns it drops it or deliberately damages it.
You go after his insurance company. Their response? Oh we can only give
you xx bucks (Less than cost of suitable replacement value, and less
your deductible) their logic being that Jane and Jimmy
Downontheirluckagain sold the same item in the Bargain Trader, Car
Trader, Pawn Shop the week before. Their logic stinks because YOUR
cherished item was not for sale and therefore the value should be higher
than a similar item on the open market. You're stuck.
--
Joe Leikhim
Jleikhim@nettally.com

"tv dinner by the pool,
i'm so glad i finished school" -F.Zappa 1967