[TowerTalk] Insulated Wire Wrapped Back

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Insulated Wire Wrapped Back
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Fri, 2 May 97 16:55:38 -0400
On 3/23/97 3:46 AM, Jonathan Starr at kalepa@maui.net wrote:

>I've been doing that for years on all my dipoles, and it works ok. Just
>make a loop in the wire with a suitable knot and tape the excess wire back
>on itself. Then put a rope through the loop and tie a knot in it, and
>attach the other end to your support.

I've done the same with #12 stranded THHN black insulated wire, WITHOUT
the knot. That's right, the wire is looped through the insulator and
wrapped back on itself. Use a really long pigtail, like 8-12". I've had
one end of a doublet come undone, but it only used about 6 inches of
pigtail. Since I re-did that end with a longer pigtail, no problems in
well over a year aloft.

Come to think of it, perhaps a UV-resistant wire tie might be a good
precaution if you wish to forego the knot.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901