[TowerTalk] Boost Rotor voltage?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Boost Rotor voltage?
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (AA1K Jon Zaimes)
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 01:50:52 -0400 (EDT)
At 10:24 AM 5/8/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Guys,
>
>There has been much talk about increasing rotor control cable size to
>assure sufficient rotor torque.
>
>For the Ham 4 etc series, why not just add a small 2.5 volt boost
>transformer at the control box side?  I don't see why this can't work--
>unless you also have trouble with the meter voltage.

I did this at a former QTH, where the control cable runs were 300-400 feet
long. I mounted a 12.6 v, 3 amp center-tapped transformer on the rear of the
control box. As I recall just half of the winding was sufficient for one of
the rotors, the other needed the full 12.6v. added. It worked fine for
several years on the two Tailtwisters. Biggest load was a 204BA with a 4-el.
15m yagi above it.

Here the control run is only about 200 feet, and I needed to disconnect the
extra transformers. But I left them in place for future long-run needs.

73/Jon AA1K